Sunday 2 November 2014

Halloween in UAE

I can't speak for all of UAE...but in the city I live in, there was very little fuss over Halloween. Our family isn't really a "Halloween family" (i.e. my husband hates it, my son loves it, and I just think it's cute to dress my kids up and watch them get excited). In the US, we put up a few decorations...mostly spider webs in the bushes, bats hanging from the trees, and lots of pumpkins (which aren't necessarily Halloweenie...they can be fall decorations). We did allow trick-or-treating and we definitely hit up as many fall festivals as possible.

Over here, the first time my son saw decorations, we were at Hallmark (which is actually very different from in the US...it consists of about 1/2 toys, 1/4 cards and 1/4 knick knacks) and he was so excited! And it made me happy, because I know moving 7,000 miles around the world was very difficult for me, so I can't imagine what it's like for him.

Well we had a bit of a house divided over it, but in the end I took the kids and daddy stayed home. We went to a group of villas that has lots of teachers living there and a lot of residents decorate their carports and hand out candy. It was a lot of fun! The crazy thing is that we live in a HUGE apartment complex...there are at least 700 residences here...and no one put together trick-or-treating here.

No comments:

Post a Comment